Ensemble/s: Junior String Ensemble, String Orchestra, Concert Band Program, Stage Band
Sound Production: The strings are bowed or plucked
- The double bass is the largest and lowest-pitched bowed string instrument in the modern symphony orchestra.
- The origin of the name of the double bass stems from the fact that its initial function was to double the bass line of large ensembles.
- The double bass can be played using two different types of bows. The French or ‘Bottesini’ bow resembles a cello bow but is shorter and heavier. The second type is the German ‘Simandl’ or ‘Butler’ bow.
- It is commonly used in jazz, dance music, popular music, and folk music. Military and concert bands across the globe use it.
- Many double bass players can also successfully play the electric bass guitar.