Ensemble: Rookie Band, Concert Band and Symphonic Band
Sound Production: Played by blowing across the mouthpiece
- The piccolo is played the same as a flute but is an octave higher in pitch
- There is usually only one piccolo player in an ensemble
- Some of the most famous piccolo parts can be found in Beethoven’s Egmont ov and in John Phillip Sousa’s march The Stars and Stripes Forever.
- The piccolo was originally designed for military bands to make the flute parts more prominent.
- The piccolo is the most highly pitched instrument of all the woodwinds.